Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Few Weeks

Hello everyone, sorry to not write sooner. 


These first two weeks have been packed: I'm putting together a community profile, planning Holiday Club, and helping with/attending church programs. I have met so many amazing people and really been welcomed into this little church family.


One family has a daughter about my age who is in town from university for a year long internship and we have been able to hang out. On Friday, we scoured the local bookshops and visited the library so I am set on reading material for this week anyways! She is working on a music degree and we like a lot of the same books and movies-- we are even planning on doing some music recording stuff and working with her new recording equipment! 


Neil and Rachel, my hosts, are also really great. Neil is a conservator at the Cathedral and Rachel works in the  YMCA but both actually have art degrees, Neil in sculpting and Rachel in textiles. I've brought out my sketchbook some and we talk about (and admire) art in TV, books, and other people's houses. So that's neat. Neil has a very dry sense of humor, rather sarcastic, which is fun. Rachel is really kind and seems quiet at first, but she is really funny and has definite opinions. We've been out shopping and she even came with me to the Harry Potter Midnight Showing (we dressed up of course!) which was marvelous in itself!  Such a great night that was. 


Jonathan, the youth pastor, is a really nice guy-- great people skills. He doesn't like the administrative side of things, so my strengths balance out working with him. He knows like everyone in the community and has connections everywhere; he really represents the church in the community and does a fantastic job.


There aren't many people here my age other than Hilary-- the young adult group is Neil and Rachel, Jonathan and Evalina, Libby, Hannah, Hilary, and Me. Hilary's younger brother is 18, so he may join in too. Libby and Hannah both are out of school with jobs and kids and lives-- while it's a university town, many of the college kids go to New Life church, which sounds a bit like TCAL but more liberal. I'd like to meet a few more people my age to hang out with on off days, but I know God will take care of all that (and yes, this means no cute guys around, which is good, I focus better without them lol).


I have been invited to have dinner or Sunday lunch with several families in the church over the past two weeks and I've made friends with many of the people there during the week working with toddler-and-parent ministries or senior citizen ministries. This church is full of life and tons of exciting things are going on already. Right now, I am fitting in, getting to know people, and learning about the ministries. I may have a hand in getting more going for the young adults, but I am excited to already be a part of the thriving youth and children's ministry here.


This week, please pray for Jonathan and the youth because they are on mission to Poland. Pray God will give me the strength to finish this last of my classes this week and just for the church and God's work here. I am so thankful to have so many people back home who care and are supporting me: I love you all! How can I be praying for you this week?


I hope things are well and everyone is wonderful,
Lots of love and internationally yours,
Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment