Monday, August 15, 2011

Birthday!


Wall of Cards


Invites, very posh, designed by Neil



I turned 21 last week and it was quite a big deal. To me anyways. :)  It was my first birthday to not be at home, but everyone here made me feel so incredibly loved while friends from around the world flooded me with birthday wishes on Facebook. Thank you everyone for making it special! 


Thursday night, Hilary and I had a sleepover where we had Chinese take-out (I've never had Chinese take-out before! Thanks Dad...lol) and watched princess movies until one AM.


Friday morning, I woke up two more birthday cards (I got several cards with gifts on Thursday-- someone even gave me proper biscuits and chocolate!) and scones for breakfast. My famalia woke up extra early so we could Skype and I opened presents with them online. Thanks for waking up and making my day extra special! I then wandered off and spent some time writing post cards home in the Arboretum (I hope you've got your post card! I found some really nice ones) where I found this cool castley bit that actually had a play ground behind it. 
Look at that sky!


A rose, just for me and my birthday 



A nifty old castley bit....
Is actually a post garden shed! 

I stopped for tea with scones, and more library books on the way back to the house, where we had sushi and stir-fry for dinner before Rachel and Neil pulled out this fantastic cake! Chocolate with frosting and raspberry between the layer, Cadbury mini-rolls for turrets and 21 silvery candles. Living with artists means they lit the candles for me to blow out when they presented the cake, then we relit them an hour later before eating the cake just to watch them burn beautifully. 


Saturday was a lazy day and Sunday was THE PARTY-- Jane Austen-style Low Tea with costumes, cute cakes, and tiny sandwiches. Rachel led the charge and Neil and I helped get it all baked, decorated, and assembled before we head out for Hartsolm park. There we met the rest of our party, all dressed to the nine, and proceeded to picnic, amused by the bemused glances tossed to us and by the capricious antics of the kids in the group (almost 3, 2, and 1 years-old-- they were wonderful!) 
The ladies and litlles
so cute!
like watching a movie!


Jonathan and Ewelina-- her dress is gorgeous!
Cheeky Mya helped me open presents




The weather was perfect, the food was lovely, everyone looked fantastic, and we had a marvelous afternoon. All too soon, we packed up and headed back, the end of a truly lovely birthday.  


I really felt the end of being a kid (I know, that's supposed to happen when your 18 but as long as your in college, you are a 'college kid'). I think it really hit me the worst watching the last Harry Potter movie though, almost a month ago. I grew up with Harry. And the end of his childhood-- the last movie-- felt like the end of mine. I loved having this birthday-- it was a grown up party but just as much fun as my hula party or my fifties party when I was little. It's bitter sweet in a way and I'm glad I felt that in the movie so I was free to enjoy the birthday, but there really is no going back.


I can't believe I've already been here for more than a month; it feels like longer but less too. I think I would move to England if I didn't miss my family achingly every time I entertain the thought. I have no idea what happens when I get back in December. A job, maybe an apartment. A grown-up sort of life. 
Please be praying God gives me direction and wisdom as I pray about the future. Also, continue praying for us at LBC- the youth just got back from mission and school starts back soon. I've been teaching Sunday School but soon there will be a lot more going on! It's been a good summer-- let's see what the autumn brings!


How can I pray for you this week?


Internationally Yours,


Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment