Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Bit about the Whos and the Whats and the Wheres and the Whys

Hello everyone, 


Someone recently asked me about my work here and what specifically to pray for. Thus the second blog in a week! Yay!


I don't have a nifty title but I do a bit of everything. On Mondays, I have a team meeting with the pastor and youth pastor where we go over what's been done in the past week, what is coming up for the current week, any problems, and then pray into the issues, plans, and other stuff for the new week. Then I make a nice to-do list and get it approved by Jonathan, youth pastor and my supervisor, and do that over the week, inter-spaced with actual ministry events. This list could have 'design website page for children's ministry, write children's talk, prep for middle school Sunday school, plan youth event, email that guy about university stuff, run college/uni group, and organize a corner of the office' or something along those lines. Throughout the week, I do my list, adding things and crossing things off as they come and are accomplished. Some things are easy-- call the school to check on my background check (remember to dial 9 to get out of the church!)-- and others are harder and more time consuming-- write this weeks Bible lesson for the university group. 


As the week goes on, I also answer the telephone and the door, make sure we have supplies to run our ministries, and generally get on with things. We also have regularly run programs that I attend every week. These are:


Monday: Mother and Toddler Group
Tuesday: Young Adult or University group (they meet on alternating weeks)
Wednesday: Senior Citizen's Luncheon, After School Kid's Club
Thursday: Elementary Aged kids club in the evening at the church
Friday: Youth club in the evening at the church
Saturday: My day off! Except when the church has something going on, which it does almost every other week
Sunday:Church, possibly running Sunday school, then evening church or Youth discipleship class


Every day I get either morning, afternoon, or evenings off and then I take a full day off once a week. I do have plenty of time to read (I read a lot!), Facebook (kind of addicted), Exercise-y things (just starting up on that one), hanging out with my hosts Neil and Rachel, watching TV, writing my blog, thinking about writing my book, and hanging out with my friend Hilary (just one). I also go swing dancing every Wednesday night and this is really crucial away time I think. I love working at the church and with all these different ministries, but my job doesn't really end if I am not at the church building or off the clock. With swing dancing, for four hours every week, I am completely away from work.


All that said, I really enjoy working for a church. It's casual and friendly (I can wear my Writing Center gear to work!) and I interact with a lot of different people. I can retreat to my office or even take a walk around the block if I need space to myself and scheduling is quite flexible. I have responsibilities and the freedom to work how I like, though I am accountable to no few number of folks and very accountable to God. I am learning a lot about God too, and about people, as I write these Sunday school plans and live in the midst of a church family. Occasionally I wake up on a Sunday and grumble about going to work, but honestly I really love this job and would like to look at working for a church when I get back. It suits me. 


As for prayers, any prayers are much appreciated. Specifically, you can pray for the church:


Children: that children are cared for at home, excelling in school, loved by those who look after them, and open to hearing the word of God.


Parents: that they will send their children to us, that they will come and interact with us, that God will soften their attitudes and turn their hearts to Him, that God will provide all they need to care for their children.


Pastors: that our pastors will get enough rest and be constantly refreshing themselves with the Lord, that God will give them wisdom and will speak through them in mighty ways.


Leadership: that God will give them strength and wisdom to make wise decisions, that God will inspire those leading others, and that they will seek God daily and in all they do.


The Church: that God will grow our faith and teach us to trust in him, that we will make a wise decision regarding staffing and leadership, and that we will grow in unity and outreach. That we remember our call to the community.


Obviously, much of this can be applied to any church but prayer works and moves mountains and if we are faithful with the humdrum, we will be given more responsibilities. 


Pray for me specifically: 
Direction: I still have no idea what to do in January. Options and ideas involve a job in London, coming back here, living with family, getting a job back home, a job in Dallas, or grad school (though that would be fall because I need to take the GMAT). India has also come up in my prayers so that's terrifying. 


Stress: I got really stressed out a few weeks ago and my body reacted. I didn't realize how stressed I was but yeah. So I've added exercise to my daily routine and am taking more time for myself in the evenings. I usually don't feel very stressed but I may need to slow down a bit.


Pray for Rachel, my hostess-- she is in the hospital and they really aren't sure what's up so that's not fun at all. 


My family: they miss me. I miss them too. 


My leadership: pray that I am a wise, listening leader who does not jump to conclusions or try to simply solve problems but one who waits on the Lord and follows his leading and wisdom. Pray that I give the first portion of my time and talents to the Lord and to the church here. 


England in general: There really is such a strong apathy and even antagonism towards Christians here. Pray that Christians will be unashamed to stand up for their beliefs and that Jesus will strengthen them in prosecution. Pray people will see Jesus in the lives of His followers and will want to know Him as well. Pray that people are having their needs met and not settling for living off government hand outs and pray the church can step in and help meet those need. Pray for the apathy, pray that Religious Education (a school subject here) begins to teach the truth and not just a watery blend of religions. Pray for England. 


hmmm... For the most part, I think this is where I am. There is so much to pray for and so much going on, but this is my life for now.


If there is anything I can be praying for you about, let me know-- I would love to pray for you as you pray for me.


Grace and Peace and Blessings and lots and lots of Love,


Internationally Yours,
Cait 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Caitlin. This is a long list, but we can pray, and God will hear. It's god to hear from you. Hugs from the UWC.

    ReplyDelete